Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekly Update 9.19.10

Good morning. Yes, it is 11 am on Sunday and yes, my family is just getting started with the day. Wade stayed up super late working on a flier for his mom last night and I took the opportunity to watch a chick flick without having to listen to him moaning or making rude comments about how unrealistic chick-flicks are. Lately Henry has been sleeping in until 9ish on the weekends. I think he is growing. I mean he sleeps 12 hours a night and I swear every morning he looks taller. I read in my "What to Expect: The toddler years" book that kids actually do grow overnight, in bursts, and I believe it.Sorry about the skipped post last week, but I'll bring you up to date. It was actually a very difficult week for our family. We had to put down our little girl cat, Girlfriend. She was injured over the summer and just was not recovering. It was impacting her quality of life. It was really hard for Wade. Susie and Ted were in town and Henry got to spend a lot of quality time with Susie. He loves Susie, they have a special relationship. Henry also got to go on a field trip with his class last week. They have been talking about neighborhoods so the teacher arranged for them to visit the post office and mail themselves a post card. The school is right in downtown so the post office was just a short walk away for the kiddos. They watched the sorting machine and checked out all the other equipment and postal vehicles. We got Henry's postcard the next day and he was super excited. Here it is: The next day the kids walked to a landscape business and got to see more big vehicles and play in the dirt. Then they headed back to school to pick grapes from the school garden to squeeze to make juice for snack. They planted the seeds from their grapes along the west side fence of the school. Henry thought that was very cool. On Friday the kids talked about bugs and one of the parents brought in some bugs for them to check out. For snack that day...chocolate covered crickets. Henry did not try one, but several of the other kids did.
Now on to this week. On Monday Wade helped at Henry's school. There is a little boy in his class that is not talking and is struggling with some behavior problems. He seems to respond to Henry and Henry took note of it and has been playing with him and teaching him words. It's pretty amazing to watch the little boy engage with Henry in a way that he hasn't with other people. We are so proud of our little dude for helping him out.
On Tuesday I woke up early to go to the gym and decided to walk out on our front porch to enjoy the amazing orange and pink sunrise. I proceeded to step on a rusty nail which resulted in a trip to the Prompt Care for an emergency tetanus booster. The good news is that I don't have to worry about tetanus until I am 42. Bad news: now both my foot and my arm hurt. The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. I had an exam on Thursday night I spent most of Thursday in the library. Henry and I built a fort on Friday and we decided to sleep in it all weekend. I have some more photos from my phone that I cannot download at the moment. When I can I'll post them. For now here is Henry and Ray Ray in the fort this morning. Enjoy the first week of fall.

No comments: