Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Weekly Update 6.7.11

Hi. Sorry that I'm running a little late this week. We had a busy weekend, and by busy I mean lazy, and by weekend I mean week. Okay, we weren't total blobs the entire week. We had a few moments when we got a lot done (and by we I mean Wade).On Monday we headed for an afternoon Royals baseball game. Wade and I figured we would be lucky to make it to the 5th inning considering that we have a child that will not sit still long enough to eat an entire meal, let alone watch one of the slower spectator sports available. But Henry understood what the baseball game was all about: getting snacks from the snack guy. I explained that, yes, of course we want to watch the guys run around, and cheer for the blue team and all of that...BUT the way that we make doing that fun is by eating large amounts of totally bad for us snacks. Within 3 minutes of arriving Henry was ready for a hot dog. Then he wanted a milkshake. He shared my nachos and then was ready for peanuts and cotton candy. Of course we didn't let him go near the cotton candy for we know what a large amount of pink dyed sugar will do to our son, it isn't pretty. Anyway, there was plenty of squirming and a little complaining and several trips to "explore" but we made it all the way to the end of the 7th inning. By then Mama and Papa were also ready to go. Grandpa got to take his grandson to his first Royals game, all is right in the world. We even got to drive Grandpa's convertible to the game, which in the end may have been more fun for Henry then the actual game. On Tuesday Henry, Gigi and I headed to the Topeka Zoo to feed the giraffes. Gigi has a photo but I need to show her how to send it to me, so maybe I'll add it later. But for now, picture it in your mind. A huge giraffe mouth, the size of your head, with a 4 foot tongue (okay that might be exaggerating a little) licking your arm in an attempt to grab a tiny piece of lettuce. Yeah, it was pretty cool. Gigi fed the baby giraffe which was also fun but lacked the element of terror provided by the giant papa giraffe head coming down and almost chewing off your arm with it's gigantic teeth (I could be wrong there, I'm not sure that the giraffe had teeth).
I think I can comfortably sum up Wednesday-Friday in this way: Henry wakes up late with Papa, they rush to Gigi's house, Henry eats eggs and toast (it's always gormet at Gigi's), Papa rushes to work, Mama has been at work since before the sun came out, Henry plays with Transformers, Legos and kicks around the ball with Gigi, Mama eats lunch at 9:30 because she has been at work since before the sun came out and she is also constantly hungry these days, Papa drinks a large double shot from LPT, Henry helps Gigi clean her house without complaining (this must be a secret power only grandma's possess), Mama picks up Henry from Gigi's, Mama and Henry play Transformers and eat a snack of either banana peanutbutter towers or cheerios, Papa comes home, Mama complains that she doesn't feel like cooking, Papa goes to get take out, Henry squirms around while eating dinner-driving Papa crazy, Henry takes a shower, Papa cleans the kitchen (which is made much easier given the fact that we ate take out), Papa reads Henry a story and turns out the light, Henry stalls going to sleep for 15 minutes to 1.5 hours by calling Mama in for kisses, hugs, lullabies or really any other snuggly type activity for which Mama is a total sucker, Mama goes to bed, Papa stays up too late watching movies or playing music.
On to Saturday. Mama hit the farmers market early and scored some veggies, a coffee cake and a very large decaf coffee from LPT. The decaf played a good trick on my body, I felt more energetic. Of course that may have been the mountain of sugar syrup and chocolate that they added. Either way it gave me enough energy to do some cleaning. Here's the thing about cleaning though, I can make it maybe an hour cleaning and then I require a 15-20 period of staring off in to space which is just the perfect window of time for my child to dump out all the toys that I just spent the hour picking up. So in the end I just settled for reading a book and sent Papa out to do yard work. Yay pregnancy!
In the afternoon we checked out a cat at the human society. And a dog. Yes, I realize it is crazy to get a cat and a dog 5 months before we will be welcoming another addition to our family but the hubby is being pretty persistent about it, which isn't usually his style. So we'll see what comes of this. I have a feeling we are going to be a 2 cat, 1 dog, 2 child family very soon. Yikes!
On Sunday Wade built the frames for our veggie garden. This was no small task given that it was 94 degrees outside. Henry and I popped out occasionally to provide moral support and water and plant a bush and swing on his swing.While Wade was working hard outside, I was working hard inside trying to find the perfect fabric to make a baby quilt. Of course the one I love is floral and girly and I am afraid to start making it for fear that I will be setting myself up to have a boy. But I think I'll start anyway, hope he likes flowers. :)
This afternoon I had my second doctors appointment. Henry came with me, which I was afraid might increase my blood pressure but no, it was fine. Right when we walked in I saw the doc fly by in her scrubs so I knew we were in for a long wait. We played for an hour building ramps out of magazines for Henry's race car and then had a 2 minute appointment with the doc. She's awesome, upbeat and positive. My blood work has all been good, including the gestational diabetes test (yay!) and I have gained back the weight I lost during that torturous first trimester. Henry thought it was pretty cool to hear the baby's heartbeat. He said he wants to come back next time....but I don't think that will happen because next time we have a SONOGRAM! And we are finding out the sex of the baby, so be sure to tune in the first week of July for the exciting news.
Well, I better go make some dinner (yes I am actually cooking this time). I'll leave you with this story. I called Gigi's house this afternoon and Henry answered the phone:
H:Hello?
M: Hey dude, are you answering Gigi's phone all the time these days?
H: Yes, pretty much. Yesterday the US Government called.
M: Really? How do you know?
H: It says it on the phone, Mama. (duh!)
M: Did you hang up?
H: No, they talked to me about drilling and President Obama and some other stuff. Kept me on the phone for like an hour or so.
M: You know, you could have hung up.
H: Not on the US Government, Mama.

No comments: