Saturday, August 07, 2010

Weekly Update 8.8.10

Hi party people. Well, we have just completed the birthday weekend extravaganza. I had a great day on Saturday with my guys and my little sis. Henry and Wade gave me some beautiful flowers and I got to spend some quiet time on the front porch planting and enjoying the breeze. Quiet time doesn't happen much at my house. :) (A blurry one, sorry. It's all I've got. )
After a relaxing breakfast and a trip to the garden center, Wade and I sipped on coffee with one hand while playing transformers with the other and contemplated going to the fair. But then we realized that we were insane and that it was 100 degrees outside, so we called up Henry's buddy, Rosa, and headed for Aunt Lillie's pool. Henry jumped in by himself several times. He had two floating rings on at all times, plus a life jacket, so I'm pretty sure that he was actually only in the water from the knees down, but hey, everyone has to go at their own pace. And by the end of the day he was blowing bubbles and feeling very brave. Then Henry and Wade headed to another friends house for a bike ride. While the boys were out I threw together a birthday cake that ended up looking better than it tasted. Henry coated it in about 3 layers of sprinkles, so it had a nice crunch. We went to The Burger Stand for dinner. Kelly joined us and was kind enough to share her truffle oil fries. Henry had his first corn dog. He is a fan. Papa had a beer. He is a fan. After dinner we headed home, way past Henry's bed time, to sing Happy Birthday and eat a very tiny sliver of cake. Henry was concerned about the fire hazard of having so many candles on one cake. I was not amused. At bed time Henry asked for an extra hug, because I am the birthday girl, and he told me that he would always love me and always be my friend, even with my stinky armpits.
Since we goofed off all of Saturday, we spent Sunday playing catch up. Right now I have about 8 loads of laundry to fold on the bed. Wade is out for a super run to combat the all the treats we ate this weekend. Including a lovely Sunday dinner downtown with Gigi, Grandpa and Aunt Kelly. Henry got some smelling markers and drew pictures of robots, bulldozers and crocodiles with Grandpa the whole time. Kelly gave me a slice of one of the best cakes I have ever eaten and Mom and I planned our strategy for trying to mimic the recipe at home. Other items of note during the week:
Henry ate an entire 8 inch sub. His feet fell asleep half way through so he had to stand up. We skipped the fair and opted for a ride that was in air conditioning. It's lame, I know. We've promised Henry a trip to Worlds of Fun in the fall to make up for it. And last but not least, we got a lovely card from Wade's grandmother, Nana, on Saturday with a photo from her mother's 102 birthday. This is Henry's Great Great Grandmother, Eva. There are 5 generations alive in his family, which is so very special. When she celebrates 103 next summer, we are going to be there. :)

No comments: