Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Choo Choo Birdhouse

Henry and I made our first birdhouse together last week and hung it up yesterday. I wanted to start building birdhouses for a few reasons. 1. I want to listen to them chirping and singing in the mornings outside my window on the weekends. 2. I feel like I need to replace the habitat they lost when I took down the birdhouses that the people left that lived here before us and when I repaired the eave that had birds living in it. 3. I wanted Henry and I to have a project together that he had a lot of say in how it came together so he could feel something going from an idea to reality under his own power. The shape of this birdhouse and the color scheme were totally his ideas.






The finished product: A psychedelic choo choo-shaped Ritz Carlton for our winged friends. The entrance is in the front of the boiler and they sort of hop through the foyer which leads to another hole where the main living area is in the cab part. New to the market, very sturdy, and very spacious. Amenities include an extended landing platform, air-tight waterproof insulation, and a smoke stack that holds birdseed.

4 comments:

Alex said...

"If you build it, they will come..." We'll see who shows up. Maybe there's a Hotel Choo Choo blog in the future to chronicle life in the high-rise aviary?

Kelly Family Blog said...

Yeah. And since we're going to make more birdhouses we might just call it the Front Tree Scene blog or something so we can chronicle the goings-on of the whole community.

Lisa said...

It is super cool. I love projects like this. Some of my favorite memories were watching the birds on the deck with my parents...especially the humming birds, which I think Henry would genuinely enjoy.

Thank you for sharing!

Kelly Family Blog said...

Cheers!