Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Go play in the other room Bapa

Henry started playing by himself this week and I gotta tell ya, it's freaking me out a little. I was in the kitchen last night, fixing dinner and I saw Wade walk from Henry's room into the living room with one of Henry's favorite books and sit down in the big green chair.

What are you doing? I asked.
Henry kicked me out of his room. He gave me a book and said---Bapa go in other room and read by himself. Wade said.
I tip-toed through the kitchen and peaked into Henry's room. He was sitting on the floor in what we call the jello position....that way that only kids can sit, knees bent with his bottom on the floor and his legs on either side of him. Wade and I like to joke that Henry is made of jello...aka can get his arm stuck behind his back and it doesn't phase him...aka super flexible...Only those made of jello can comfortably sit in that position.

Anyway, we stood there for a second and watched him play with his rocket and then walked into the kitchen and stared at each other. He is playing by himself. We couldn't believe that after two years of spending every evening entertaining this tiny person that tonight for the first time he is in his room playing by himself! In the end we both agreed that it is very weird that Henry can play by himself. We continued to peek in on him every few minutes...okay seconds....and he was fine. It reminded me of when he first started sleeping in his own crib. It was less than 2 feet from my side of the bed but I still slept with a flashlight and woke up every 30 minutes to check on him and watch him breathe.

I'm not sure that I am ready for all these changes. Being two and playing by himself and having to sit in the no-no chair (yes, he has already had to sit there twice) and using the potty.....It's amazing how fast they grow, whether we are ready for it or not.

No comments: