Friday, March 30, 2007

Little dipper

Henry loves to push things-hampers, boxes, toy cars, people...anything that he can get behind and give a shove. One of his favorite things to do is push his dump truck on the sidewalk. He will push it for blocks. So, today when we got a short break in the rain I decided to take the antsy little boy out to let off some steam. We took his dump truck out to push on the sidewalks and along the way Henry discovered puddles. At first he would push the truck past the puddle, trying to not let any part of his truck or his shoes come in contact with it, but after a few steps curiosity got the best of him and he ran back, stopped, leaned over it with his little arms out to his side...slowly a toe wiggled out of the end of his sandal and touched the water. He looked up at me and his face said "I know that stuff, it is like what is in my baths" and that was it, the splashing commenced. We checked out every puddle on the street, stomped and splashed (and even tried to taste a little) and both ended up totally soaked. What fun! I immediately went inside and ordered some rain boots for all three of us, so we are hoping for a big downpour in 2-4 weeks.
I have concluded that grown-ups really don't know what they are missing with puddles...get some rain boots and hop in. It's great fun! (I don't recommend tasting it though.) -L

2 comments:

Alex said...

The legacy continues... Like father, like son. The damaged gutters and rotting floorboards of the apartment above ours on Magnolia, became delightful gifts on rainy days--we had a waterfall right outside our back door! Perfect for getting gloriously soaked. This generation's difference: Wade's mommy never bought him any gear. Henry is, again, a lucky lucky boy with new galoshes in his future.

Q said...

Ahhh...
I too am a puddle lover!
Rain gear is a the ticket for happy walks in the rain.
I wish I had saved my children's rain boots as they would be very charming on the porch with pansies right now.
I have my yellow slicker, rain hat and yellow boots at the ready. I walk in the rain.
Glad to know you do too!
Puddle jumping and flying kites are two of my favorite activities!
Aunt Sherry, who sings in the rain